Bingo is one of the most popular games of all time. Just about everyone has played bingo at some point in their lives. Many are familiar with the old home version of the game. Some have played the game in school where it has been adapted to teach a wide variety of subjects. Millions play at bingo halls around the world daily or weekly. Online bingo has gained immense popularity with players both old and young. In face in the UK online bingo is the fastest growing sector of the online gaming industry and bingo is even more popular than poker! There are many myths surrounding bingo and a lot of history. Here are some bingo facts and myths.
- Many people think that bingo was invented in the United States. Actually the game is a descendant of an Old Italian lottery game called "Lo Giuoco Code Lotto," and the game is still played in Italy to this day. The game spread to France, where it gained popularity with the aristocracy. In the late 19th century, the Germans adapted the game to teach various school subjects, starting a tradition that continues to this day. New York toy salesman Edwin S. Lowe created the modern version of the game in the late 1920's. Bingo has a long and interesting history that completely changed with the advent of online bingo.
- Many believe that game manufacturer Parker Brothers brought bingo to the US. While Parker Brothers is known for games like Monopoly and Clue, it was Lowe who first manufactured the modern version of the game in the United States. The game was so popular that Lowe was able to continue manufacturing the game during the height of the great depression providing jobs for many. A Pennsylvania priest from Wilkes Barre approached Lowe and asked to create a bingo game that could be used to raise funds for his parish. The idea was successful and bingo began its long association with the Catholic Church.
- Many believe that playing bingo is expensive, when in reality, it is one of the most affordable games anywhere. Online bingo cards may be purchased for as little as a penny, and usually the most expensive cards cost between $2 and $5 dollars. Most cards cost between 25 cents and $1. Cards at bingo halls are a little more expensive but are still affordable for most people.
- Some people believe that bingo is not a very profitable game to play. This is a widespread myth. In the UK, the National Bingo Game has created several bingo millionaires. Online bingo jackpots of $50,000 and more are common at online bingo sites. Bingo is not the low stakes game it once was.
- Some think that bingo is a game for old ladies. The demographic data about bingo actually shows that most bingo players fall into the 18 to 13 age bracket and online bingo players are usually younger. A survey in the UK showed that bingo is the most popular leisure activity for women 18 to 35 years old. Many bingo hall operators in the UK have remodeled their halls to appeal to young casual players.
- Online bingo provides no social interaction. Again, nothing could be further from the truth. Online bingo chat rooms are lively, and most bingo players are naturally gregarious. Players can enjoy real time interaction with other players in online bingo chat rooms. Unlike land based games online bingo players are actually encourages to take during games. Many players have formed friendships with players and bingo chat moderators that have led to live meetings, and there have even been a few marriage proposals at online bingo sites.
These are the most commonly believed myths about bingo. Hopefully this article will help prospective players separate fact from fiction.
Connect with author, Jeff Davis on Google+.